Tech industry insights…
- First text messages sent 25 years ago this month: Of course, sent between two PCs but still the first and I do not think it include the phrase 'LOL' 🙂 ...
- Computer glitch allowed all pilots to take vacation: American Airlines has now resolved this (with overtime pay rates) but a programming error allowed all pilots to schedule their vacation over Christmas, unfortunately leaving none to fly the planes!
- Fresh, Simple, Elegant Alarm app! Unfortunately our great alarm app Wakebright does not work with iOS 11. I hope to rebuild and get back out on the store over the holidays 🙂 Wish me luck!
- What to read: A terrific article on teams and Google - What Google Learned From Its Quest to Build the Perfect Team. Or my longtime favorite: a lengthy (38,000 words) paper that has become one of Bloomberg's best read articles - What is Code. It is a thoughtful, well-written piece to explain software and how it touches our modern world.
For my top list of reading recommendations, check the reference page.
Our Modern Tech World :)
Top Posts & Pages
- Four Box Report Examples
- Efficiency and Cost Reduction
- Ensuring Project Success: Best practices in Project Delivery
- Service Desk: Turning Around a 'Helpless' Desk
- In the Heat of Battle: Command Center Best Practices
- IT Service Desk best practices
- Moving from Offshoring to Global Service Centers II
- Service Desk Definition
- Ensuring Project Success II: Best Practices in Project Delivery
- IT Hybrid Model
Search for a topic
Be a Subscriber!
Category Archives: Best Practices
Well, the summer is over, even if we have had great weather into September. My apologies for the delay in a new post, and I know I have several topic requests to fulfill 🙂 Given our own journey at Danske … Continue reading
Our recent post discussed using the Infrastructure Engineering Lifecycle (IELC) to enable organizations to build a modern, efficient and robust technology infrastructure. One of the key expressions that both leverages and IELC approach and helps an infrastructure team properly plan … Continue reading
There are over 5,000 books on applications development methods on Amazon. There are dozens of industry and government standards that map out the methodologies for application development. And for IT operations and IT production processes like problem and change management, IT … Continue reading
We have seen the accelerating impact of technology on a wide variety of industries in the past decade. We have witnessed the impact of internet shopping on retail industries, and seen the impact of digital content and downloads on the full … Continue reading
As we discussed in our previous post on the inefficient technology marketplace, the typical IT shop spends 60% or more of its budget on external vendors – buying hardware, software, and services. Often, once the contract has been negotiated, signed, … Continue reading
The typical IT shop spends 60% or more of its budget on external vendors – buying hardware, software, and services. Globally, the $2 trillion dollar IT marketplace (2013 estimate by Forrester) is quite inefficient where prices and discounts vary widely … Continue reading
As we covered in our first post on this topic, since the mid-90s, companies have used offshoring to achieve cost and capacity advantages in IT. Offshoring was a favored option to address Y2K issues and has continued to expand at a steady rate … Continue reading
Now that 2013 is done, it is time to review my predictions from January last year. For those keeping score, I had six January predictions for Technology in 2013: 6. 2013 is the year of the ‘connected house’ as standards and … Continue reading
It has been two months since the Healthcare.gov launch and by now nearly every American has heard or witnessed the poor performance of the websites. Early on, only one of every five users was able to actually sign in to … Continue reading
The enterprise popularity of tablets and smartphones at the expense of PCs and other desktop devices is also sinking desktop virtualization. In addition to the clear link that tablets and smartphones are cannibalizing PC sales, mobility and changing device economics is … Continue reading