This page will cover how to build high performance teams, a subject near and dear to my heart and at the core of any world class IT organization. If you would like to help me and collaborate on this area, let me know by providing me feedback in a comment for this page.
So far I have assembled a set of practices that I have leveraged or I have seen peers or other senior IT leaders use to build high performance IT teams. There are multiple facets that should be mastered by a manager who seeks to build the best teams and they are covered in these reference pages. Senior IT leaders, with his or her senior management team, can use these practices to build a high performing team, in the following steps:
- define a compelling vision and set the right goals, expectations and behaviors
- establish high performance team principles as the norm for their group
- evaluate and select the right talent
- actually build the team and the culture as well as move to the right site and staff mix
- or prune and improve as required
- and refine ongoing coaching and development to sustain a high performance team
There will be additional sections including:
- establishing a high performance leadership style
- ensuring clear roles and proper behaviors and expectations
- taking a scientific approach to metrics,
- leveraging the flow of work to ensure high productivity
I would be interested to hear from you on your journey to high performance teams – what were the ingredients and what were the challenges?
Thanks, Jim Ditmore