I was spurred to organize a best practice section focused on how to effect change or transform and IT organize due to the many false starts of well-meaning change as well as the wrenching impacts of poorly executed transformations. In most cases, well-intentioned managers apply either techniques that work well based on their experience in a previous organization but are ill-suited for the maturity or culture of their new organization.
There are several different facets of transformation that I explore here:
- matching IT metrics and approach to your team’s maturity
- techniques to build IT synergy and avoid silos
- leveraging the ‘flow of work’ to avoid organizational stagnation and inefficiency
- perspective on how to best to leverage technology investment for business differentiation in Riding with the Technology Peloton
- and best practices on when and how to out-source or more importantly when to retain with an internal high performance team
Please let me know if there are other topics that should be added or explored.
Best, Jim Ditmore